Design My Space
Web Augmented Reality: Easy Steps towards WebAR
Oct 12, 2021
4 minute read
Augmented reality is opening up the potential of how we interact with the world and information around us. AR is enchanting the world by storm. Different companies, organizations, and marketers are starting to look at Web-Based Augmented Reality technology and are categorizing use-cases within their business. WebAR is on the upsurge, thanks to the most significant impediment fronting app-based AR. Since augmented reality became a vast thing, the best experiences have been app-based.
From Pokémon Go to IKEA to ASOS, all the handy AR features have been added to brand apps, offering one of the best user experiences. Although this type of AR offers advanced technical competencies, trying to get people to download an app can be fiddly, and it can be harder to make an app compatible with all the different types of phones and operating systems out there. That is why people have started looking seriously into WebAR; it may not have the power of total augmented reality apps, but it still has adequate possibilities.
What is WebAR?
We can refer to WebAR as augmented reality experiences accessed through a web browser rather than an app. It means - all you need is your mobile or tablet and an active internet connection. You don't need to download an app directly onto your phone. Currently, WebAR offers a restricted collection of the main features possible using app AR that includes simple animations, video, and a convinced degree of interactivity. It can also support image target detection to trigger experiences.
Why Should you Consider WebAR?
A recent study shows that you can convey your message to 80 percent of users' minds by adding interactivity to content. Combined with the capability to share AR content right from your website, that fact signifies a considerable opportunity to squeeze extra juice out of your content plan. There's no longer the requirement to send users to a third-party site like Facebook or Snapchat; you can launch WebAR experiences from any URL the user selects, and they can simply interact with your product.
As far the static websites are concerned, there are different hosts; you can track and analyze the traffic for various websites. Not only can you track traditional metrics like engagements and time on page, but you can also get more granular insights like how long a user interacted with a particular product or even, for instance, if a user "tried something on" through your experience or their clothing size for future reference.
How to Get Started with WebAR?
The development process of creating WebAR experiences can be broken into six simple steps:
- Planning and Research: The first step is to have well-versed planning. Always begin with proper research and plan that clearly states your target audience, campaign goals, and creative vision. This will benefit in apprising your decisions later on.
- Selection of Platform: There are many industry-leading platforms for developing WebAR experiences. The use of software packages makes developers' lives easier by giving them access to the base technologies needed to create unique WebAR experiences, for instance, think tools like surface tracking and image recognition. All these platforms have their benefits and drawbacks, but leveraging one of these platforms will save you valuable time and money than developing your experiences from scratch.
- Asset Creation: The next step is to start creating your 3D digital assets. A good WebAR experience is all about harmonizing your creative vision with available bandwidth speeds. Extremely comprehensive models or super complex animations can cause web-based experiences to be sluggish. To have an optimal experience, focus on creating low-poly art assets and engaging yet simple animations.
- Development: As you have a proper plan in your hand, you have selected the platform, and your assets are ready to go, you can now begin developing your new WebAR experience. This work will be done through the medium you set above. Like most digital development, this progression is quite technical and best catered by a developer or development team with experience building in the platform.
- Testing: Testing is crucial when developing any digital experience, specifically with WebAR, as many things to consider. Our testing team recommends testing across all major mobile platforms and web browsers. Our team also suggests trying the experience on different network connections to test the creative vision with the available bandwidth speeds.
- Distribution: Different industry-leading experiences offer hosting services and custom URL integrations. You can keep things simple by simply exporting the final experience and host it on your server. Either way, you can now share your new WebAR experience by merely transferring the host URL via QR or any other means.
Developing a WebAR feature couldn't be any simpler. All you have to do is direct your viewers to a designated URL, and you're off to the races. One easy way to do this is through the power of QR codes. All you need to do is ask your viewer to open the camera app on their phone, point their camera at the QR, and are incited to tap into your new WebAR experience. It also permits you to embed interactive content anywhere easily.
If your customers avoid using QR codes, you can list or share your AR-enabled URL. At that point, the WebAR experience will launch automatically. These experiences can also be planned to include alternatives for those audience members who might be browsing on older devices or have slow bandwidth connections. It is a great practice to follow to help ensure your entire audience has an optimized experience.
Taking Augmented Reality to the web is the most acceptable option to grant this technology a future. By liberating smartphone users from installing numerous apps, WebAR can make Augmented Reality far more accessible and valuable for organizations. VisionX can be of a great help as it's skilled developers can get the job done through creating high-performing and secure custom webpage designs.
Digitization of products with WebAR brings a new age to the connection with a customer and enriches brands' business strategy significantly. Perhaps, the extensive use of WebAR for everyday life with the interaction through dedicated headsets is still in the distant future, but its active application for business purposes is happening right now. WebAR empowers organizations to reach their audience in a frictionless, inventive, and unforgettable new way. Furthermore, it's set to keep increasing in power and performance as support from the big tech companies continues to grow.